Located in the historic district of Fells Point, Broadway Market dates back to 1784 when it was one of the first of three markets to serve the fast-growing Baltimore population of the day. Broadway (the street) was once known as Market Street and leads to the waterfront, a short distance beyond the entrance to the market shown below. This area was originally an outdoor marketplace with numbered spaces rented by farmers and other merchants.
~ Click image to enlarge or purchase ~
Although named "Broadway Market", it officially has an Aliceanna Street address. The present building was constructed in 1864 and once had a second story hall, used for social and civic affairs. Damaged by fire in the 1960s, the second story was removed.
Baltimore has the oldest continuously operating public market system in the United States, a proud tradition that we will continue to cover in future posts. Many of these establishments have passed into history but there are at least six remaining in full operation.
Thanks for visiting!