Built in 1855 and once located at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and the Patapsco River, it's the oldest screw-pile lighthouse in the state of Maryland. It once stood on a shallow shoal but was decommissioned and relocated up river (the Patapsco's north branch ends at Baltimore's inner harbor) as a museum. The relocation occurred in 1988. Today you can walk right up to it as it sits on the harbor's promenade. Until it was automated in 1949, the lighthouse keeper and his family would live there year-round. Now that's tough duty during the Winter months with high winds, ice and no cover from the elements other than the lighthouse itself. Geez!
Let's begin with a walk down the aforementioned promenade on this bright, sunny, Summer morning. The lighthouse is down on the left.
The Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse
An old historic structure like this deserves a B&W rendering.
In a future post we'll have a look at the inside of this historic lighthouse, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Thanks so much for visiting and have a great day!