Dark clouds passed overhead on this visit to Fort McHenry in the days before Hurricane Irene raked the eastern seaboard and Maryland coastline. The Fort is rich in history, not only for Maryland but for this great nation. It was originally named Fort Whetstone before the renaming in 1798. Strategically, this point of land provided a great view of ships in and around Baltimore's harbor. The image below shows one of the many cannon fortifications used in defense of this area.